Pastel on Vellum: 63 x 49 cm
Signed and Dated 1985-86
André Minaux was born in Paris in 1923. He attended the École des Arts Décoratifs between 1941 and 1944, studying under Maurice Brianchon (1899 – 1979). He commenced exhibiting regularly at the Salon d’Automne from 1948 and also with the Group “Homme-Temoin” (Human Witness) in 1949 and 1950. As well as this, André Minaux exhibited at the Salon des Moins de Trente Ans in 1949, where he won the Prix de la Critique.
The Musée d’Art Moderne in Paris purchased a painting from him in 1950, which was followed by a successful first solo exhibition at the Galerie Bernier in 1951. This busy and prolific period saw André Minaux participating in the Venice Biennale in 1952, and exhibiting in London for the first time in 1953, firstly at the Adams Gallery, and subsequently at the Redfern Gallery. It was at this time that the Tate Gallery added a painting by Minaux to its permanent collection. André Minaux continued exhibiting during the entire course of his career in Paris, throughout France, and also in New York, Amsterdam, Brussels, Montreal, Toronto, and Tokyo.
André Minaux’s early work promoted a return to realism, and used sombre, earthy pigments. However, his work from the 1960s developed away from naturalism and became more stylised and colourful, experimenting with new techniques and abstract forms.
André Minaux died in 1986.