Watercolour on paper: 38 x 57 cm
Framed size: 58 x 76 cm
Signed, André Brasilier 2010
Les chevaux bleus
Oil on canvas: 27 x 45 cm
Framed size: 48 x 66 cm
Watercolour on paper: 50 x 66 cm
Watercolour on paper: 30 x 45 cm
Framed size: 53 x 66 cm
La Belle Jardinière
Oil on canvas: 130 x 90 cm
Framed size: 154 x 114 cm
Provenance: Galerie Etienne Sassi, Paris
Catalogue Raisonné by Xavier de Coulages 1982-2002, no. 1986/28
André Brasilier is the son of the artist Jacques Brasilier, and was born in Saumur in 1929. In 1949, Brasilier commenced studying under Maurice Briancon at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris.
He was awarded the Prix Florence-Blumental in 1952, and the Grand Prix de Rome in 1953. Following this, he spent three years living at the Villa Medici in Rome —a privilege extended by the French Academy to prize-winners until 1968. He also received the Prix Charles-Morellet at the Salon de la Jeune Peinture in 1961, and the Prix de Villeneuve-sur-Lot in 1962.
André Brasilier’s world is a peaceful, carefree one, with delicate harmonies bathed in light. He is inspired by pastoral scenes, music, the sea, elegant women, and horses in particular for their beauty and empathy with nature: “I love life, and horses with their forms and their ardour, delight and intrigue me.”
In addition to major group exhibitions in Paris in the 50s and 60s, André Brasilier has mainly concentrated on one-man exhibitions annually since the 1950s up until the present day. He exhibited in Paris and throughout France, as well as Japan, New York, Germany and Canada, totaling some 55 shows in all.
His first large retrospective exhibition was at the Chateau de Chenonceau in 1980, showing 100 paintings spanning 1950 -1980, followed in 1988 by a second retrospective at the Musée Picasso in the Chateau Grimaldi in Antibes.
Between September and November 2005, a major retrospective exhibition of his paintings was held at the Hermitage Museum in St. Petersburg, Russia,. This was closely followed in 2006 by a retrospective at the Espace des Arts in Paris, and in 2007 by a travelling retrospective collection of his work in five Japanese cities – Tokyo, Nagoya, Niigata, Sapporo, and Fukuoka.
He continues to exhibit in London, Paris and New York.
“I always try to give the quintessence of a subject, to say a great deal with a little, like Japanese artists who focus on asceticism and simplicity.”
— André Brasilier
- 1959 – First exhibition in Paris, Galerie Drouet, with music as the chosen theme.
- 1960 – First exhibition at the Galerie Weil, Paris.
- 1962 – Exhibition in New York, David B. Findlay Gallery.
- 1963 – Exhibition in New York, David B. Findlay Gallery.
- 1964 – Exhibition at the Weil Gallery. Chosen theme: Cadre Noir de Saumur (the famous training school of cavalry).
- 1969 – First exhibition at Galerie de Paris.
1969 – First exhibition in Tokyo, Yoshii Gallery.
1969 – Exhibition at the Centre Gildas Fardel, Nantes Museum.
- 1971 – Exhibition in Caracas, Arte Gallery.
1971 – Exhibition in New York, David B. Findlay Gallery.
- 1972 – Exhibition at the Galerie de Paris.
- 1974 – Exhibition of lithographs and tapestries at the Vision Nouvelle Gallery, in Paris.
1974 – Exhibition at Yoshii Gallery, in Tokyo.
- 1976 – Exhibition at Galerie de Paris.
- 1979 – Exhibition at Galerie Matignon, Paris.
- 1980 – First retrospective (1950 – 1980), 100 artworks at the Château de Chenonceau.
- 1983 – Exhibition of watercolors, Galerie des Chaudronniers, in Genève.
1983 – Exhibition in Tokyo, Nichido Gallery.
- 1985 – Exhibition in New York, Hammer Gallery.
1985 – Decoration and costumes for Ciboulette, a Reynaldo Hahn’s play, staged by Pierre Jourdan.
- 1987 – Mosaic work (15 x 3 m) in Vence, Provence.
- 1988 – Exhibition in Vancouver (Canada), Buschlen-Mowatt Gallery.
1988 – Retrospective exhibition at the Musée Picasso-Château Grimaldi in Antibes (French Riviera).
1988 – Médaille de Vermeil, distinction granted by the Ville de Paris.
1988 – Exhibition at the Hopkins-Thomas Gallery, Paris.
- 1989 – Exhibition retrospective “Hommage à André Brasilier”, in Angers.
- 1990 – Exhibition in Tokyo, Nichido Gallery.
- 1991 – Publication of Harmonies, an album of 10 lithographs presented at Drouot Montaigne, Paris – Text by Yann le Pichon.
- 1992 – Publication of the Catalogue Raisonné des lithographies, Editions Callithos.
1992 – André Brasilier à Bagatelle: Mairie de Paris, exhibition retrospective organised for Didier Jumaux & Partenaires, Paris.
- 1993 – Exhibition at the Château de Sédières, in Corrèze.
- 1994 – Exhibition in Menton, Musée des Beaux-Arts, Palais Carnolés.
- 1995 – Exhibition in Tokyo, Nichido Gallery.
1995 – Ceramics exhibition at Landrot Gallery, Paris.
1995 – Exhibition at the Arsenal de Metz.
1995 – Paintings exhibition at the Galerie Bac Saint-Germain, Paris.
1995 – Watercolours exhibition, Buschlen-Mowatt Gallery, Vancouver.
- 1996 – Exhibition at Soufer Gallery, New York.
1996 – Large exhibition at Château de Vascoeuil, in Normandie.
1996 – Permanent exhibition at the Galerie Bac Saint-Germain.
- 1997 – Exhibition in Tokyo, Nichido Gallery.
1997 – Exhibition in Verden, Germany.
- 1998 – Exhibition in Tokyo, Printemps Ginza.
- 1999 – Watercolours exhibition in Paris, Nichido Gallery, Paris.
1999 – Exhibition in Stuttgart, Germany, Bühler Gallery.
1999 – Exhibition in Nice, Garden Gallery.
1999 – Exhibition in Genève, Swizerland, Les Salles du Palais Gallery.
- 2002 – Exhibition in Tokyo, Mitsukoshi department store, Nihombashi.
- 2003 – Publication of the Catalogue raisonné of paintings 1982-2002, Editions Acatos.
- 2004 – Exhibition at the Château de Mainau, on the Constance Lake, Germany.
- 2005, April – Exhibition at the Schüller Gallery, Munich, Germany.
2005, May: Watercolours exhibition at the Galerie Barès, Paris.
2005, September – November: Exhibition-retrospective at the Hermitage Museum, Saint-Pétersbourg, Russia
- 2006, 22 March – 3 June: Retrospective exhibition at Espace des Arts, Paris, France.
- 2007, 10 October – 15 April: Retrospective exhibition in five cities in Japan: Tokyo, Nagoya, Niigata, Sapporo, Fukuoka.
2007, 24 November – 24 January: André Brasilier chez La Fontaine. Exhibition in the Jean de La Fontaine Museum. Château-Thierry (02400) – France.
2007, 9 December – 14 January: Exhibition in Haarlem, The Netherlands, E.J. van Wisselingh & Co.
2007, 4 to 25 March: Exhibition in Saarlouis, Germany, Museum Haus Ludwig für Kunstausstellungen.
- 2008, 12 May – Inaugural ceremony for the Chapel of Saint-Blaise. City of Pompadour – 19230 – France.
2008, 25 Sept – 22 Nov – Etchings & Illustrated books. Bibliothèque Louis-Nucéra, Nice – 06200 – France.
- 2009 – Itinerant exhibition in Japan: Tokyo, Sendaï, Nagoya, Fukuoka.
- 2010, May – Jun – Exhibition Gallery Artbank. Séoul. South Korea.
2010, 13 Jun – 28 Nov – Exhibition in Château de Chenonceau. City of Chenonceaux – 37150 – France.
- 2013, 21 November – 6 December: Exhibition at the Opera Gallery, Bond Street, London.